Saturday, April 02, 2005

We missed the first half...

but the show was still incredible.
that boy invented guitar.
I predicted it would,
and it did--
charge through me leaving trails of red embers, twinkling in its wake.
the music.
and, not that it was about me, at all,
but.
it's important to note--
I looked fantastic.
I even got a gravel-voiced, "hey baby" as my light-filled,
black-clothed, black-haired self slipped into the murky night water of the room.
how is it that a quiet voice can land so snugly in one's ear,
when the greatest guitar player alive today is on stage, mere yards away?
my eyes, rivetted.
my heart, pounding.
my ears....
are still thanking me.
(for all but the "hey baby")

hubby got a couple of cold ones
and we wove our way forward.
I drank half of mine--
and only that much, because I wanted to empty the damn cup so I could have my hand back.
I wasn't in a drinking mood--
how could I risk missing or distorting the experience?
I had wondered if he would bring Noah, the lead vocalist on the first 3 albums
(the albums I know)
since he's promoting a new album, on which he is the lead vocalist.
he did.
daaaaaaaamn that man's voice is--
it's like a Redwood tree, or a whole beach of smooth rocks
(like Crescent beach, you know, at the end of Ash Point Rd...)
it's thick and full--strong.
and, as it turns out, he's hot.
they were all hot, of course.
that's kind of a prequisite for band camp, these days.
(no, not THAT band camp, American Pie junkies, rock star camp...)
but strangely...
the hotness factor was extremely second fiddle.
I was more mesmerized by the notes--
pounding into my skin, somehow leaving no mark.
I wanted to slide out of myself and into the body of that guitar,
to feel fingers pulling song out of me,
fingers ripping over me, pressing and plucking and picking...
an orgasm for the soul.

since it was such a small venue, they had an autograph session.
so we bought a CD and got in line.
Kenny and Noah came out, and took their seats.
we were 4th or 5th in line, so I didn't have to wait long.
but I would have.
I slid the CD across the table, caught each of their eyes, briefly, and said, "you guys are amazing...it was a great show."
such simple words.
but it felt like they got it,
that they knew.
that I have a fountain of words inside me, too.
a moment's connection, nothing more.
but I don't think the people ahead of me had spoken to them.
they seemed almost startled at my words--
or was it my voice?
or I could imagine it was my lipstick...

walking back to the tallest building in the city,
the one where my husband's office is.
riding up to the 24th floor, so dark, so quiet.
4 stories of windows--
showcasing the city lights for us.
marble patterned floor,
soft lights, sparsely placed.
we considered the leather chair,
we contemplated the mahogany desk.
we certified the security cameras.
and decided to save the sex for home--
like normal people, for once.
damn security cameras.

a good night, a great band.

and today is the most perfect spring day you could ask for.
or I could ask for...?
whatever.
it's lovely.
so I did a little prep on my garden,
and planned tomorrow's family dinner for 20.

housewife out.

No comments: