Sunday, May 09, 2004

Happy Mother's Day

It's a gorgeous day here, hope you're all having a nice one.
We're going to take the boys mini golfing, then dad will take them shopping--i have no problem with last minute shoppers!
I have requested a really nice blender...good lord, sometimes i think i really am domestic.
it feels good.
and how great is my mother in law?
i'll tell ya: she's watching the kids for a couple of hours tonight.
on mother's day.
she might be crazy, but she's cool.

I miss my mom today.
she does everything just right--has been the perfect role model in so many ways.
she has been telling me from my earliest memories that i should be a writer.
she has always told me i could do or be anything i wanted.
she has shown me how to do most of the things i know how to do--shown me it is possible to do them....
she taught me to stay calm and cool in emergencies.
she has been an example for all things good and true, and i have followed fewer of these examples than i would like.
she has been one to carry a cross with a smile and a song, never a complaint under the gruelling weight.
she raised two sons who are the best examples of fathers and husbands i have ever seen.
she raised two daughters who are as different as night and day, but still remain best of friends each of us trying to be like her...
she called herself the wicked stepmother to my father's 3 children, but it always made me laugh--even before i knew what irony was.
she was named "Miss Betty Crocker" of Venice High in 1955, and boy were they right.
she was on the folk dance team for BYU.
she is always smiling out of those black and white pictures, looking like a movie star in her perfectly coifed hair with her silk dresses and silk stockings.
she made my childhood perfect, ideal, rosy and soft.
kittens and bikes and camping and piano lessons and reading wonderful books to us...
she spoiled me...

I will go call her.
Happy Mother's Day, Mom!!

No comments: